Profile of the College:
University Arts & Science College is one of the oldest higher educational institutions in the state of Telangana. The need for higher educational institutions in Warangal was felt as early as in 1927 when the Intermediate wing of the then Collegiate High School was established in the old municipality premises. The college section of this institution was located in the present Government Junior College Buildings, Hanamkonda. The College was bifurcated in 1948 and the Intermediate education was shifted to Waddepally at the present Govt. Pingle College for Women buildings. During 1954 the College was shifted to its present location spread over 40 acres of land. In 1959 the college was upgraded as a constituent college of Osmania University offering undergraduate courses in the faculties of Arts, Science & Commerce. The college was recognised as A Grade College by NAAC in 2004. Recently the college has applied for reaccreditation. With the establishment of Kakatiya University the college was transferred from Osmania University to Kakatiya on August 19, 1976. In 1995 Postgraduate courses were also added.
It is situated in the second campus of the University at Subedari, Hanamakonda. The college is playing a pivotal role in teaching, research and extension activities and contributing to the socio-cultural transformation of the region by imparting quality and value based higher education. The college offers Post-Graduate courses in ten disciplines and Under-Graduate courses with thirty different combinations. The college has been re-accredited with ‘A’ grade by the NAAC and also recognized as College with Potential for Excellence by the UGC. The College has a sophisticated English Language Laboratory, Library with reading halls and internet facility, Seminar hall, Computer labs, highly sophisticated Biotechnology and Microbiology Laboratories along with regular labs like Physics, Electronics, Chemistry, Botany and Zoology. It also has 70 years old Auditorium and amphitheatre, Health Center, Multi-Gym and a large playground. The entire college campus is covered with a high-speed Internet facility. The School of Management forms part of the College.
It has to its credit alumni like former Prime Minster of India late Sri P.V. Narasimha Rao and others who occupied important positions in government and civil service. It has produced many eminent people who have held prestigious positions. List includes Vice-Chancellors, IAS/IPS officers, Chief Justice of a High Court, Judges, Doctors, Engineers, Journalists, Poets, prominent Social workers, and more.
- Sri P. V. Narasimha Rao, Politician, former Prime Minister of India.
- Mr. Ajit Khan, famous Hindi actor.
- Padma Vibhushan Sri Kaloji Narayana Rao, Telugu Poet and Activist.
- Sri Kothapalli Jayashankar, Educationalist, Activist, Professor, Former-Vice-Chancellor-Kakatiya University, Former Registrar-CIEFL-Hyderabad (aka EFLU).
- Sri Daasarathi Krishnamacharyulu, Telugu poet and writer.
- Sri Pamulaparthi Sadasiva Rao, Philosopher, and Freelance Journalist.
- Sri Nukala Ramachandra Reddy, renowned politician and freedom fighter.
- Sri Pervaram Jagannatham, Telugu Poet and Former Vice-Chancellor- Potti Sri Ramulu Telugu University–Hyderabad.
- Sri Pervaram Ramulu, IPS, Ex.DGP-AP, Politician.
- Sri Nerella Venu Madhav, World Famous Mimicry Artist.
- Sri Prof. Navaneetha Rao Thangeda, Former-Vice-Chancellor-Osmania University.
- Sri Nand Kishore, an Indian former first-class cricketer.
- Sri Prof. V. Gopal Reddy, Former-Vice-Chancellor-Kakatiya University.
- Sri Mimicry Srinivas, an International impressionist (entertainment), Ventriloquist and India’s very first sound illusionist.
- Sri Dr. Perugu Shyam, Former Scientist at ICMR-NIN, and currently Professor at National Institute of Technology, Warangal.
- Sri Suresh K Golle, Faculty – Media Studies, Birla Global University, Bhubaneshwar, Odisha.
- K. Reuben Mark, the present Bishop in Karimnagar (2015 onwards)
- Mr. Imam Baba Shaik, Revenue Officer-Telangana Govt.
- Sri Shailaja Akkapeli, Activist, Feminist and Poet.
- Sri Keerthi Nayakwadi, NRI Entreprenneur in USA.
- Late Sri Dheekonda Sarangapani, Folk Singer, Playback Singer, Telugu Film Music Director.
- Sri Jeevan, Cinema Artist – ETV Jabardasth Comedian.